Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Now With Time On My Hands (Again)

Today was Day # 17 on what was supposed to be a 29-day contract. However, my workload had been lightening up recently as it got harder and harder to get any of my busy boss's time. I had recommendations and some document templates for him to review, after which we were going to talk about "next steps."

That took a bit of a turn today, though, when the company asked many of its full-time employees to agree to take some unpaid vacation time this summer, in order to cut costs. That's hardly an unusual situation in this current recession, and yet it's nevertheless daunting when it actually happens to you. When I heard about it late in the day, and knew that my boss would have much bigger things on his mind for the next little while than finding time to review things with me, I asked him if it would help if I just stayed home for awhile. He was visibly relieved that he hadn't had to ask, and just like that I found myself out of work once again (but very OK with the idea). I'm scheduled to go back in for one day next week (probably Wednesday) in order to try to hand off what I came up with over those 17 days to someone there; but other than that, I think I'm probably done there. I was never a particularly good fit for the job, and vice versa. But you never know until you try. (Vicki, on the other hand, continues to play a critical role on one of their two most important projects right now and is shining like the star she is.)

So if you know of anyone looking for an Agile superhero these days, I'm on the market once again. In the meantime, I'll be focusing most of my attention on Math tutoring (pity the children!)

No comments: