Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Are We Finally Starting To Harness Our Species' Potential?

As most of the readers of this blog know, I'm a big fan of video games (as are many of those same readers) and think that they have all kinds of potential. In fact, just the other day, I was telling someone, "When that alien invasion finally comes, I am so ready for it now..."

OK, maybe not that kind of potential. But check this out: I've become more and more interested in the concept of crowdsourcing in recent months, as I stumble across increasing wide-ranging examples of it. The latest one, courtesy of something Vicki spotted, involved gamers solving protein puzzles. I can totally see how you could get lots of people to work on problems of this sort if you simply make it game-like enough to tap into the same energy and enthusiasm that we apply to, well, killing AI aliens!

I can't help but wonder just where this "collective brain power" thing - that we're only now starting to realize is even possible - will lead us. It's certainly pretty exciting to consider.

No comments: