Saturday, August 28, 2010

"The New Man In Charge" Is A Small, Sweet Dessert

The family just finished watching "The New Man in Charge", the 12 minutes or so of new material included on the Lost Season 6 DVD. I expect that we'll revisit it at least once more after we've re-watched the entire season, sometime next month. But in the meantime here are my first impressions.

Despite it being way too short (about 1/4 to 1/3 the length of an episode), it was chock full of payoff moments for Lost fans. A few final mysteries get addressed, some familiar faces are seen again, and we get to see the new and improved Benjamin Linus in action for the first - and sadly, last - time. This is clearly a sweet farewell gift from Lindeloff, Cuse and the rest of the creative team, intended to both dull the pain of no more Lost while simultaneously accentuating that loss. All I had to do was hear the distinctive opening notes to be instantly transported back to all of the feelings that I had in May when the show went off the air for the final time. That's quite an endorsement for the series, if you ask me.

I can't help wishing there were more, but I'm extremely grateful for what we did get. Maybe we'll get more in the future (feature film set in the post-Season 6 era?) but even if we don't: this was an exquisite sendoff to one of the best TV experiences ever. It gave me every bit as many thrills as I'd hoped for, and for that I say "Thank you!!" to the Lost crew.

["Doc" Jensen's thoughts on the material are here. As always, it's a must-read for fans of the show.]

No comments: