Monday, August 02, 2010

Inception: Another Great Nolan Film

Vicki and I went out to see Inception tonight, a mere two and a half weeks after it debuted. We had actually planned to do so even earlier but my back just hasn't been up to sitting still for two and a half+ hours until now. Despite the delay, I managed to go into Christopher Nolan's latest flick pretty cold, beyond what could be gleaned from a couple of trailers for it.

Not too surprisingly, we both loved it! The gimmickry of it worked for both of us, and we remarked to each other on the drive home just how strong DiCaprio's performance was (at a level similar to The Departed, I'd say). His character had to carry the emotional weight of the story, and he pulled it off beautifully. I also really enjoyed watching Ellen Page, who had been so wonderfully quirky in Juno, having to work within a much more restrictive role this time out.

I couldn't help but think that some people must have found the plot hard to follow - though neither of us did - and sure enough one couple got up and walked out about 3/4 of the way through tonight. I loved the way Nolan choreographed the different levels within the story and was enthralled by the "time variations" between them. I pretty much decided early on that the story had to be happening in some universe parallel to ours (one where the techniques employed by the main characters were both fairly well known and somewhat well understood) and was happy enough to go with that.

I'm sure there's lots of debate raging about the ending of Inception, and there were even a couple of exasperated sighs from audience members in the theatre tonight as it faded to black. I thought it was just perfect, myself, and have absolutely no problem with it. This is definitely a "must buy" for us when it comes out on DVD later in the year. Christopher Nolan's stock in our household just continues to rise.

No comments: