Wednesday, August 04, 2010

One Very Interesting Interpretation Of Inception

I've thought about Inception quite a lot since we saw it about forty-eight hours ago, which is always a sign of an exceptional movie. I hadn't really come to too many conclusions about the structure of it, though, thinking that I'd probably hold off until I'd had a second viewing (once the DVD is released) so that I could watch it all the way through with full knowledge of where it's going.

However, I just read this article by comic writer Steven Grant, and I have to say that I think he probably nailed it. In his take on the film, he explains away several of the small, niggling gripes that I'd had with it, such as (for example) how Ariadne became so proficient at modifying the landscape so quickly. It's actually quite a brilliant interpretation of what Nolan was up to, and while I'm going to ponder it some more, I suspect I'll go into my second viewing with this "Grant's stance" in mind.

No comments: