Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The All-But Forgotten Math Book

When Vicki came home from "the office" recently (she mostly works at home on her current contract but occasionally heads downtown for some face time with her boss) and informed me that she'd sold a copy of No Kid of Ours is Failing at Math (How Parents Can Help) there, I was delighted, as always. But when I went to update my accounting spreadsheet for that product, I discovered that hers was the first sale in about 6 months! Yikes! I knew it hadn't been selling, but that's ridiculous!

Now, as luck would have it, another book request came in just a day or two later, so things are moving again, but... just barely. Of course, I assume all responsibility for this sad state of affairs, as I haven't been advertising or even promoting it like I should. The truth is that sort of thing has always made me feel uncomfortable, and it doesn't seem to get any easier with practice.

As it stands right now, I think we're about 20 sales away from breaking even. I obviously don't think we'll make that mark before the end of the year, meaning that - for the first time - I'll have a net loss in terms of publishing costs within a calendar year. Both AgileMan books achieved profitability quickly, but they were also printed in smaller numbers initially, thanks to some chickening out on my part. Live and learn, I guess.

1 comment:

Sue G said...

Well, it is not exactly a nice warm seasonal book to appear under people's Christmas tree. You can't buy it for your parent. you can't buy it for your adult kid (makes you a meddling grandparent). In fact you can't gift it to anybody. hmmm. but still a good book.