Monday, March 07, 2011

Now It Can Be Told: My Next Writing Project

I've resisted the urge to mention this particular news before now, because... well, read on.

More than two years ago, I had an idea for a novel-length story and blogged vaguely about it at the time (Dec 2008). I then made an earnest attempt to write it, got about three chapters in, and completely stalled. Dead. I thought it was just a block, at first. But when months passed, and I didn't get back to it, I decided that it wasn't just pining for the fjords. No, this bird was deceased.

Flashforward two years later, to December of last year. My friend Julie and I had been throwing around the idea of writing a book together in the fall, but it eventually became apparent that, while she had the interest, she just simply didn't have the time to commit to such a project. (Working full-time, I guess, will do that to you!) Once I realized that our collaboration wasn't going to happen, I started looking for something to write on my own. It had been nearly a year since I'd finished No Kid of Ours is Failing at Math (How Parents Can Help) and I was getting that 'writing itch' once again. I didn't see any material for a 3rd AgileMan book, nor any reason to put together another Math book. Instead, I figured it was time to finally tackle the challenge of writing a novel.

Remembering my two year old idea, I started thinking about it once again. I realized that I didn't have as much of an outline as I'd originally thought - the ending, for one thing, was very unsatisfying. And I'd tried it once already, only to run aground. So how could I have any better luck the second time around?

At that point, I started talking to Julie about it. She didn't have the time to co-author a book with me, but thanks to our frequent long walks together, we realized that we had a golden opportunity to plot one together! And so we began to do just that.

Over the course of several weeks, the idea that I'd had in late 2008 blossomed into a full story, with an actual beginning, middle and ending. Julie suggested I try switching from the third person, omniscient narrator style that I'd employed the first time around, and try first person, instead. At first I resisted, because I wasn't sure how I could possibly tell that particular tale from a single character's point-of-view. But the more we discussed it, the more I could see options becoming available. As a result, I set aside what I'd written in 2008 and early 2009, and started from scratch.

Earlier today, I finished the fifth chapter of my still-untitled first novel. I'd estimate that I'm about 40% of the way complete on the first draft, more than 80 pages in. Vicki's heard a tiny excerpt from chapter one, way back when I first wrote it in January of this year, but otherwise only Julie and I know anything about this book. As I've finished the first draft of each chapter, my walking buddy has gotten to read it and provide high-level feedback. To date, that's been in the form of enthusiastic praise and a demand that I write faster, as she can't seem to wait for the next installment. She's almost certainly a little biased, not the least of which because she's actually contributed to the contents, but it's still a good sign.

I couldn't be happier with the way this project's progressing, thanks in no small part to the help and encouragement this good friend of mine has provided. That, along with an amazing wife who gives me the time and space I need in order to write every week as well as a belief that whatever I'm creating will actually be worth reading, has allowed me to get at least this far down the path toward producing a piece of fiction that I now expect to finish, sometime later this year. It's also felt, in the last few weeks in particular, as though I've gotten a bit of momentum behind me. Whereas I was struggling to write a chapter in a few weeks, at the start, I produced most of chapter five today. As in, like, the last 12 hours! Not that I expect to repeat that feat anytime soon, but it's - dare I say? - another good sign.

More details to come when things are further along.

No comments: