Thursday, March 17, 2011

This Disposable Society's Gonna Kill Us All

Right now I'm typing on the 3rd laptop I've purchased in the last 2.5 years. My first one - an Acer piece of crap - was just a poor choice on my part, as I tried running Windows Vista on a machine with only 1 GB of RAM (hey, they were selling them that way!). (And thanks to a bizarre new keyboard, I just somehow managed to Publish this blog entry right in the middle of writing it. Sigh.)

Anyway, that misstep led me to buy a Toshiba laptop less than a year after getting the Acer, and I was very happy with that machine... until its motherboard died suddenly on Wednesday! Since I hadn't bought an extended warranty, and the replacement board was going to be almost as much as a new device, I opted to buy my 3rd one since August of 2008. While I'd planned to pick up an extended warranty this time around, the price ($100 for 1 extra year, $200 for 2 extra years) just didn't seem worth it. We'll see if I once again end up regretting that decision. If nothing else, I've got to get this whole 'moving to a new laptop' thing down to a science, including automating my backups.

As much as we enjoy how much computer prices have come down, I'm kind of nostalgic for the days when I'd replace one not because it suddenly stopped working when I least expected it but rather because its technology had gotten obsolete... you know, after 4 or 5 years!

4 comments:

Mike Marsman said...

I recall buying my wife's MacBook around the same time you bought your laptop in 2008. It's used daily and still going strong.

Quality really does show through in some products.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

With laptops I find you really get what you pay for. The cheap ones are just junk. I went Mac back in 2006, and that laptop is still going strong, mind you I handed it down to my mother last year because I wanted to buy a new one (not because there was any issue with it). The only issue I ever had with it, was a bad hard drive, and ironically that just happened about a month ago with an after market hard drive I put in because I wanted more drive space for my ridiculous music collection (including a large amount of ridiculous music). The only downside, yes I have to admit it, I've become a mac fanboy, but when it works and lasts it's hard not to be.

Oh, and the backups and restore couldn't be easier.

Unknown said...

Our iMac is now over 3 years old and I have no inclination to replace or upgrade it. The Macbook Pro is now just over years as well.