Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Exit Through The Gift Shop Is Definitely Worth A Visit

Netflix has the fascinating documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop available right now, and I encourage anyone at all interested in the art world to check it out. Vicki's more of a fan of Art (with a capital A) than I am - unless we're talking comic book art, of course! - but we both really enjoyed this hour-and-a-half glimpse into the strange habits of a few of the better-known street artists. We now both completely get the whole "Who is Banksy?" meme that's been going around for months, whereas it was just noise before. The title of the film is especially apt, once you've watched it all the way through. I have to say that, to some degree, it validated my long-held belief that a significant portion of the art world is scam-artist-level bullshit, but on the other hand it also presents some amazing artists who are doing work that is absolutely brilliant and inspired. Not so much Mr Brainwash, though...

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Ryan and I watched it just last week actually - loved it! I'd always been curious about this Banksy person but had never known much beyond the basics. Now I wish I could own one of his pieces (ha, yeah right) some of them were so gorgeous.