Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Afternoon With Portal (The Original)

Rather unusually for a Thursday, I found myself with a clear schedule today: no tutoring sessions at all, and a wife who was off to Niagara-on-the-Lake on a bus trip with a girlfriend. In other words, I was gifted a perfect opportunity for some serious gaming! Unfortunately, the Playstation Network continues to be off the air - having been attacked early last week, they're still not back - so I went looking for other options. All the time Vicki, Ryan and I have spent in Portal 2 lately has made me nostalgic for the original gem, nestled in The Orange Box along with 3 other games.

I started a new game around 1:30, and the next time I noticed the time it was a little after 5:00 and I'd just killed GladOS and received my cake (or was the cake a lie?). I found it much easier than the last time I played it, but still a whole lot of fun. And I must say that some of the puzzles in it are still ridiculously difficult, even - as I discovered today - when you've gotten through them all a few years earlier! I appreciate some of the many humourous bits in the sequel more now that I've refamiliarized myself with its predecessor, which just adds to the enjoyment of Portal 2.

That Orange Box package continues to be one of the best values in gaming I've ever experienced!

No comments: