Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Latest Toy

The last week and a half or so has been such an amazingly busy time that I completely neglected to blog about getting a new iPod! Between the Agile 101 Workshop that Vicki and I led two Fridays ago, Portal 2 coming out a week ago today, Julie coming home last Wednesday (and stealing my puppy away!!!), Tammy and her (relatively) new boyfriend paying us a long-overdue visit over the weekend, it just completely slipped my mind.

But my oh my, do I love my new iPod Touch! I had to replace my previous, pre-Touch version after a couple of bike rides this Spring during which the newly-recharged device ran out of juice within 20 minutes! I've really enjoyed both iPods I've had since 2003 or 2004, but they always seem to have short life cycles (about 4 years each). I get enough use out of it while biking that it was an easy decision to buy a new one. I had no idea just how much of an upgrade this purchase was going to be, though!

I love the sleek new shape, although I've dropped it a couple times already because there's so little to grab onto now! The presence of a browser and e-mail on it are very welcome, and I love the iPhone-like touch screen with its intuitive resizing and scrolling. I don't think I've discovered nearly everything on it yet, nor have I purchased any apps for it. Even so, I'm in love with this shiny little treasure!

I haven't had much luck getting Internet access when I'm out and about yet. I've already had the experience of being at someone's house who didn't remember their network password, but I'm sure that won't be a typical situation when I'm visiting friends.

This seems like the perfect compromise between owning or not owning an iPhone... I didn't really want the monthly expense of that device, but did covet the music, photos and browsing capabilities. I definitely got much more than I expected when I decided to replace my old wheel-based horse and buggy version!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the future ;-) If you are concerned about dropping you might want to invest in a case (which I have not been able to convince myself to do for my iPhone). If you install Skype on your touch you can use it light a phone to make Skype-to-Skype calls in wifi hotspots.