Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Amazing, Secret Legacy Of TV's Quincy & Oscar Madison

Actor Jack Klugman, best known (depending on your age) as either Oscar Madison on the TV version of Neil Simon's The Odd Couple or Dr. Quincy on the Quincy, M.E. (Medical Examiner) show, died recently at the ripe old age of 90.  He had a fine acting career over several decades of his life, but as The Washington Post reported recently, his contribution to the advancement of medical science was much more significant.  When I saw the WaPo headline, I assumed that Quincy, M.E. had sparked an earlier version of the CSI-phenomenon, increasing the general public's interest in the field of forensics.  But no, this was even bigger than that.  Go read and you'll see what I mean!

I'd never heard this particular story before, although I probably watched the Quincy, M.E. episodes in question and was just too young to be aware of the larger context surrounding them.

No comments: