Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Great Service Story

I ordered some books from Chapters.ca yesterday, and selected the Free Shipping option that's available if you spend $39 or more. It's described as taking an average of 3 - 9 business days. The Premium Shipping option (which would have cost me about $4.99) is advertised as averaging 2 - 4 business days for delivery. However, I stuck with the Free Shipping because I'm cheap and there was no reason to rush this particular order.

Today, about 27 hrs after I placed my order, the books arrived in my mailbox! They beat their advertised average by a sizable amount and impressed the heck out of me in the process. But I can't help wondering: what if I'd spent the $4.99 for "Premium" shipping? Would the books have been on my front step by the time I finished clicking the "Place Order" button? Because other than something like that, I can't imagine my purchases getting here much faster! So what does that $4.99 really buy you?

No comments: