Friday, May 01, 2009

Tomorrow Is Free Comic Book Day

Once a year - typically on the first Saturday in May - there's an event called Free Comic Book Day that's intended to get fresh faces into the local comic store. Most of the big publishers either create new material for the occasion or re-package something older, and they then provide it to the comic stores (not exactly free, but fairly cheaply) who in turn make them available (exactly free) to anyone who comes a-calling on that day. I went to the first one, back in 2002, but haven't been to any since that I can recall. I've always figured that I'm not exactly the target audience, after all, and besides: Saturday was always one of the few days of the week when I could have any chance at all to hone my shut-in skills!

But this year's different, and not just because currently every day's a golden opportunity for Shut-In Boy to shine: DC Comics is kicking off the 2009 summer event with a free comic entitled Blackest Night # 0. Since I'm actually looking forward to BN (which starts up formally in July, I think), I'd like to get my hands on that freebie. Marvel also has a standalone new issue of Avengers that looks interesting (I dropped the regular Avengers titles once Marvel jacked them up to $3.99 USD recently). So that's two reasons for me to get to my comic store tomorrow, and that's good enough for me!

No comments: