Monday, June 14, 2010

16 Years Ago Tonight

It's always tougher to celebrate the anniversary of the Rangers winning the Cup on this date in 1994 when the modern day equivalent has missed the most recent playoffs - as happened this year - but maybe, in a twisted sort of way, that just makes the significance of that bygone day all the greater.

I also think that, had you told me 16 years ago that I'd still be marking the anniversary of that victory every year since, I'd have taken some satisfaction from it. While it's nice to dream of what it would be like to have so many championships that I can't remember the details of each anymore (hello, Red Wings fans?), at times I prefer the specialness that comes from having just one... one perfect, President's Trophy-combining championship that had a whole nation watching it. Not bad at all, that.

No comments: