Friday, June 18, 2010

Film Appreciation Night

I bought Fight Club on DVD several months ago, and have been looking for an opportunity to watch it ever since. I first saw the Ed Norton/Brad Pitt movie quite a few years ago (maybe around 2001?), lent to me (on DVD) by Hinckley, who assured me that it was more than just a film about guys knocking the crap out of each other. Tammy and I watched it on a weekend when Vicki was visiting her mother, and both really liked it. When Vicki returned, we recommended it to her and in fact viewed it a second time that weekend, along with her. She was rather unimpressed by it (to put it mildly), and ever since has been pretty negative about it.

So this time around, early in the proceedings I paused it and asked her if she remembered what the big twist was in the story. She said that she didn't, and she also didn't seem to be enjoying it very much (once again). So I made a tactical decision: I reminded her of what was really going on and we talked about what the film was really about (not just guys knocking the crap out of each other). Then we resumed it, and from that point on she got into it and could see all of the extra layers to the story. I think that, by the time it was over, she'd developed a lot of respect for Fight Club. (But only time will tell on that front.)

So I guess it's true: sometimes you really do have to break the rules in order to have any success!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fight Club is one of the few movies where I went to see it and upon leaving the theatre, immediately wanted to see it again.

Almost hard to believe it came out 11 years ago.