Saturday, June 05, 2010

We Are Not Alone?

Is it just me, or is this indication of signs of life on Titan potentially the biggest news of the century? Admittedly, it's early days still, and a lot of inferences are being drawn from sparse data... and yet.

Today, as I was removing some weeds from Vicki's garden in the backyard, I was marveling at how industrious life is: there, in a place that had barely enough soil for me to dig into it at all, a plant had not only established a full and vibrant root system but had then supported itself as it grew to nearly a metre in height! It really made me think that life always seems to find a way. And this news from Saturn's most interesting moon may just be another example of that very fact of Nature.

Thanks to Richard Dawkins, on Twitter, for drawing my attention to this story.

[Update Jun 8/10: A nice summary of the important caveats to this story can be found here.]

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Wow...that is close to home. Very interesting indeed. And yes the tenacity of weeds and ants and spiders all speak to how industrious many species are...sorta like the plague/virus on the earth that are humans.