Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Power Of A Good Review

I hadn't really even heard of Neil Young's album, Greendale (that I can remember, anyway), let alone the recent graphic novel based on it (Neil Young's Greendale). Until I read this review, that is. But that was enough to convince me to give the book a look, which I did today at the comic store. Fortunately, the store had an unwrapped copy on display to allow me to flip through, as it officially comes enclosed in clear plastic... no dummy, that comic store guy! A quick perusal was enough to prompt me to pick it up, and my very own shrink-wrapped copy is now awaiting my attention along with the 3 regular comics that I bought today.

I should say that the linked-to review isn't even all that amazing, compared to, say, something you might encounter in the New Yorker or Rolling Stone. But it told me just enough to pique my interest, not the least of which because it was written by a Neil Young fan (as I'd sometimes count myself, though to a minor degree). I like the clear style of the artist on the book (Cliff Chiang), and so a light week of new comics became the perfect opportunity to indulge in an impulse purchase. And all because of one little review.

No comments: