Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bring On The Cheap(er) Games!

Last weekend I went looking (online) for video games to buy, since I'm currently only working on one (Red Faction: Guerrilla) and even it's not really holding my interest all that well. While there are lots of games out there that I'm sure I'd enjoy, I decided to limit myself to $29.99 per title or less. Since a new game costs between $59.99 and $69.99 (usually), getting it for 50% off or better seemed like a nice price point and worth a little splurging on myself.

I managed to find four that are now winging their way to me via Canada Post:
  • Timeshift (PS/3)
  • Battlefield: Bad Company (XBox 360)
  • Prince of Persia (360)
  • Unreal Tournament III (360)
Each one holds its own unique appeal to me, as all four are quite different from each other. Unreal Tournament III is the one I'm most familiar with, as I've played several earlier Unreal games and like the franchise quite a bit (in small- to medium-sized doses). It's very deathmatch-oriented, with minimal amounts of story but lots of carnage. Timeshift, when I played the demo for it months ago, is probably the most conventional First Person Shooter in the bunch, albeit with the twist of some gadgetry to slow down time and (if I'm remembering the right game) even rewind it a bit. I also tried out the BF: Bad Company demo way back when, but didn't quite feel like spending the big bucks to buy it at the time (now, at a reduced cost, it's attractive). And Prince of Persia is one that McChicken has recommended in the past, specifically for its puzzle-solving aspect. It's unlikely to rival Ico or Half Life 2: Portal in that regard, but even a slightly inferior puzzler would still be welcome around here.

So I spent around $100 for four games, where normally I wouldn't even be able to get a pair of them for that price. It's just a matter of being patient, I suppose...

No comments: