Sunday, August 02, 2009

One Sweet Pic

Vicki and I aren't planning to attend the Chicago Comic Convention this year (our first miss in several years), and wouldn't you know it: there's an outstanding Charity Art Auction planned for the 2009 event! They're collecting items to auction off to benefit comic writer John Ostrander, who's written many comic series that I've enjoyed (The Spectre, Grimjack, and The Kents, to name just a few). Ostrander is suffering from an eye ailment and has mounting medical expenses to deal with that he can't afford (boy, Health Care Reform in the U.S. can't come fast enough!) and so industry professionals are rallying to his cause.

There are many items that I'd be interested in bidding on, were I there, but none caught my eye more than the stunning Batman vs Hawkman illustration by the father / son combination of Andy and Joe Kubert shown here. Wow, is that ever awesome!

What a bad year to miss the show in Chicago...

[Update Aug 10/09: I just read that the above Batman vs Hawkman picture went for $1300. Had I been there, I don't know that I would've been willing to go that high, but it would have been tempting. A watercolour Concrete page by creator Paul Chadwick, on the other hand, went for $325... and I would certainly have bid more than that to bring a Concrete page home!]

No comments: