Monday, August 31, 2009

Howard The Duck To Star In New Team-Up Series With Donald?

Threatening to break the Internet in half, the news broke this morning that Disney is planning to buy Marvel Comics for a *mere* 4 billion dollars. I swear that my first thought, upon hearing of it, was to wonder how Marvel head honcho Joe Quesada, who has had great fun over the years slagging DC for their corporate ownership (referring to them as "AOL Comics" and "Time Warner Comics", among other slurs), would manage to spin this rather shocking development. I'm still waiting, as of this writing, but I'm quite sure that it'll be entertaining.

[Update @ noon: "It feels like Christmas morning," Quesada apparently tweeted not too long ago. Funny how he never characterized the DC Comics ownership situation in quite that way over the past decade... I guess it's all in how you spin it, or maybe Joe Q just had a lot of really miserable Christmas mornings!]

I suspect that many Marvel personnel may find that working inside a huge, kid-oriented and heavily-branded infrastructure like Disney holds its own challenges. It may be more constrictive than they're used to, especially compared to some of the smaller comic companies out there today. But, of course, the benefits may be much improved! Hey, this sounds a lot like what I went through in 2005 when the small, independent software company I was working for was bought out by a huge American corporation! And we all know how well that turned out... ;-)

1 comment:

Sabotage said...

Alright, so I read this AFTER I messaged you yesterday....

I should have known you'd be all over that news...