Friday, April 24, 2009

My Crappy Day

I decided to save Vicki the "fun" of opening the pool this year, and undertook the various tasks by myself this afternoon. Since the winter cover was already off, it was a matter of hooking the pump and filter back up, getting the pump primed so that it would actually move water through the pipes, removing the jet return caps, getting the ladders out of the pool room, and making the heater run once again.

That last point has been contentious in past years, as it seemed like every Spring there would be an issue with the heater and we'd have to pay for (and wait for) a service call before the water could be warmed up. That may seem like a trivial matter, especially when it's really yet "swimming season", but several other things "back up" when the heater isn't working. First, the Baracuda (automated vacuum) needs the water temp to be at least in the 60s in order to function, and the electrolytic cell that converts our salt water to chlorine has the same restriction. Therefore I'm always wanting to raise the temperature to at least that 60 F point as quickly as possible.

So of course today the heater wouldn't come on. The pilot light is lit, the water pressure according to the gauge on the filter is within normal limits, the heater's set to ON, and the thermostat is set well above the water temp... but no whoosh through the heating elements, and hence no warm water for my troubles.

In the past, it's been the pressure switch in the heater that's been the problem (which I remove each Fall and put back in each Spring), so I figure it's probably that. I called our favourite pool place to see if they carry that part, and was assured that they did. I then biked to the store (about a 25-minute round trip) only to wait 15 minutes for someone to be free, after which I was told, "Oh, no, we carry pressure switches for filters, but not for heaters!" (and I'd been very clear over the phone, even describing the make and model of our heater).

Once I got back home - not happy! - I tried calling a few other places, but have yet to find any that have that part in stock. So once again I've got the pool running, but with no vacuum, no chlorine and no help on the horizon.

And now to top it off: Washington 4, NY Rangers 0, after 2 periods. I should have just stayed in bed today.

No comments: