Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Suspense Would Be Killing Me, If Only...

I'm starting to hear from friends and colleagues - who, like me, had submitted session proposals for Agile 2009 - that they're getting e-mails indicating the disposition of their sessions. In most cases, it's been "Dear John" form letters, thanking them for their interest and encouraging them to attend the conference even though they won't be doing their suggested topic/presentation. There's been one instance where rejection followed rejection before eventually being contrasted by an acceptance (where one person had many different session proposals in).

As for my "Real-Life Adventures of AgileMan" proposal, I've so far heard nothing... nada... zippo. That might otherwise leave me on pins and needles, so to speak, except that I haven't yet decided which way I'm hoping that it goes! There are upsides and drawbacks to both outcomes, with no clear winner in my mind. So at the moment I'm just watching it all play out (vicariously, through others) with great interest but no actual emotional investment just yet. I'd heard that all responses were supposed to be out by the end of April, so I suppose that means that I'll get my answer, one way or another, between now and Thursday... unless (as Vicki theorized) I've just completely fallen through the cracks!

[Update 04/29: On the day before the deadline, I got the word: "Thanks, but no thanks." So at least now I don't have to figure out how to get to Chicago while Vicki's working and we only have the one car.]

3 comments:

Michael Kernahan said...

Agile 2009 rejection letter, and tax filing both with the same deadline.

Nice.

Quick theory: the longer you wait, the further you made it along the process...

So just maybe....... .

Michael Kernahan said...

Oh, and THERE'S YOUR DAMN COMMENT.

Anonymous said...

As someone who has received their fair share of rejection letters (pretty much the norm in academia), trust me when I say the reviewers don't have time to make personalized responses. "Dear John" is as friendly as they are going to get.

And if they are behind, that seems par for the course when it comes to conference reviews. The size of the set of submissions is likely far greater than the number of reviewers.

Oh yes, and there's your damn comment. ;-)