Sunday, February 24, 2008

Can This Book Finally Be Done?

Well, I spent hours and hours and hours on the Agile book this weekend, incorporating feedback from all three of my reviewers, as well as doing yet another complete pass of the contents. Unfortunately, two of the three reviewers weren't able to get me comments on the entire book, but what they did provide was very helpful and productive. Deadlines are the enemy of everyone, I guess.. but in fairness, I was the one who set the date, not them!

So now what? I still have to write Acknowledgments, design the cover, and start the process of getting the content into the self-publication site of choice (so far, Lulu) in order to find out if this whole printing thing is really going to happen, after all. For all I know, I may still have months of work ahead of me, just to get through that! (And I'm sure that I'll continue to make changes as I go along, because I. Just. Can't. Stop!)

6 comments:

Mike Marsman said...

Glad to see you've gotten things this far ... but remember Parkinson's law, that work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

I figured there was a good reason behind your decreased blog volume :)

Anonymous said...

Say what you will, mikem, even at his peak Kimota94 was still nowhere near Philip M. Parker:

"Not only is Dr. Parker a professor at the international business school INSEAD, he's an author whose prolific output makes Joyce Carol Oates look like J.D. Salinger. Since he took up publishing books five years ago, he has published more than two-hundred thousand volumes."

Mike Marsman said...

ack! that sounds like a challenge to me ... are you trying to propose a retirement goal?!

Anonymous said...

i'm about a third of the way through it ... in my defense i got it much later than everyone else! looks like no time to make changes anymore (didn't find anything major anyways) so perhaps I'll just email you some general comments

T said...

*sigh*

Yet another offer to proof this book goes unanswered.

why-o-why do I bother?

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Tammy: yes, please send on whatever comments you have. You definitely got the material much later than anyone else, and I didn't really think you'd have time to read it all, but I didn't have any way to guess. Vicki got through it in about a week, Jimmy seemed to be able to do so in about two weeks, and two others weren't able to complete it in three weeks! So it seems to depend on peoples' schedules and other factors beyond my ability to predict.

I'm at the point where I have to be careful in making anything beyond cosmetic changes, for fear of disrupting the flow or introducing inconsistencies, as I'm sure that I won't be able to do yet another complete re-read (like I did yesterday). But small stuff is easy to change / fix!

Tim: I had more offers than I felt comfortable taking people up on, and all I hear from you lately is how busy you are, so you wouldn't have seemed like an obvious choice (sorry, bro!) You're definitely on the list for a gratis copy of the finished product, though!