Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Dozen Comics Later

Today I decided to finally make a dent in the growing pile of unread comics that was in danger of tipping over on me. Over the past several weeks, while I hadn't stopped reading them completely, I also didn't seem to be keeping up with the volume of new arrivals each week (typically, about 10 per Wednesday). With nothing more demanding of my attention today, I brought a big selection out to the living room, and just started going.

So far, I've burned through:

New Avengers (a regular issue and an Annual)
Batman & the Outsiders (it was billed as the Outsiders vs the JLA, and yet two of the JLA members displayed on the cover don't even appear on the inside, and the ones who do show up don't seem to be there for any purpose other than to act out of character and start a fight)
Batman/Superman (two issues, which were surprisingly entertaining for a series that I've been on the verge of dropping for over a year now)
Captain Marvel (not quite sure what to make of this mini-series but I guess I'll stick around for all 5 issues)
Flash (two issues, wrapping up Mark Waid's disappointing return to the character that he made great about a decade ago)
Supergirl (not quite back to previous skanky levels but also not terribly interesting)
Thunderbolts (love the Warren Ellis writing but really can't get invested in the characters, at all!)
Wonder Woman (two issues, making up the middle frames of "The Circle" saga which I'm quite enjoying)

There wasn't really a bad comic in the bunch, but by the same token, none of it really made me sit up and take notice. I definitely need to do some more pruning of my reading material, as I think I'm falling back into the habit of picking up titles that are just OK, for no reason other than routine. And that's just a waste of money, after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And yet there might have been a real gem in there...so don't give up!