Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Fun With Noobs

Playing Team Deathmatch in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 tonight, I eventually landed on one of my least favourite maps: Wasteland. It's a fairly simple design, where there is a bunker in the middle (that one team typically occupies) with 3 entrances to it. The general idea is that the team on the outside tries to push the bunker team out and take possession of it, although ultimately you're just trying to score as many enemies kills as you can to win the game. Usually I do terrible on Wasteland because the other players know how to defend (if I'm on the attacking team) or breach it (if I'm on the team that's inside of it) and I end up dying way more than I should. I've had some horrible results on it in the past.

Tonight, for some reason, I played against what must have been a rare group of newbies. They started off in the bunker, and we could just pick them off from the edges, as they ineffectively fired over our heads or to the side of us. I racked up so many consecutive kills that I earned both the Predator drone killstreak reward and the Harrier Strike one. Wisely deciding to wait until we'd evicted them before using either, I then proceeded to get a couple more kills via the drone before unleashing the three Harriers on their sad sack asses... by the time the smoke had cleared, I'd rung up 24 straight kills without dying! I ended the game with 31 kills and 3 deaths... by far my best result ever, and I earned what I think was only my second or third Supernatural accolade for getting at least 10 times as many kills as deaths in one game. It was quite the bizarre experience.

In general, I've lifted my kill-to-death result up to 0.94, and rarely seem to finish with a negative result even in a single game anymore. The One Man Army perk, with its access to unlimited ammo, seems to have done as much to improve my gameplay as anything. That, and having learned the maps, has made playing the game a much more pleasant experience for me (though probably not so much for the players on the other teams).

No comments: