Monday, February 08, 2010

New-ish Peter Gabriel Music Out Next Week

While it's not as exciting to me as the prospect of a truly-new set of music, I'm still fairly interested in the Scratch My Back project that Peter is set to release a CD under next week. He's doing about a dozen covers on it, but with orchestra and voice only. I heard his version of David Bowie's "Heroes" while flipping around the TV channels during the first few days after the Haiti earthquake, and it was interesting, at least. I'd much prefer that he produce a new studio album with the regular crew (Tony Levin, David Rhodes, etc) but since it's been almost a decade since that last happened, I'll take what I can get.

This one's called Scratch My Back, and it'll be followed up by I'll Scratch Yours, on which the artists whose work Mr Gabriel covered on the first one return the favour by reinterpreting songs of his. Among that group should be Bowie, the Talking Heads (or maybe just David Byrne), Paul Simon, Neil Young, Radiohead, Lou Reed, Canada's very own Arcade Fire and several others. It's an intriguing concept, if nothing else.

No comments: