Monday, March 15, 2010

The Way The System Should Work

A friend pointed me to this article about an impending change in Israel that would allow those who've signed up to donate organs to get preferential treatment when it comes to receiving them. Besides laughing out loud at the Orthodox rabbis who oppose the law because they believe donating organs is "bad" (whereas receiving them is apparently okey-dokey... talk about a double standard!), I thought it sounded like a really good idea (and one I've espoused before). It seems funny to me that we often say "life's not fair" when it was never promised to be in the first place, but then we sometimes rail against systems that are inarguable examples of fairness.

2 comments:

Michael Kernahan said...

I agree 100% on your Opt-out system too.

Vicki said...

What a good idea. They should do that here too!