Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Exciting Comics Coming Out Tomorrow (Nov 13th Edition)

I haven't done one of these for a long while, but seeing as this could be the single most exciting week of comics in the entire year, I had to end the drought! Read on, and don't drool on the pages!

All Star Superman # 9 - Hopefully the crapitude of the last two issues, focusing on Grant Morrison's version of Bizarros, will be wiped clean now that Superman returns to 'normal' (keeping in mind that in this title, normal is anything but!) This comic had been outstanding right up until it took a wrong turn at Bizarro World, so I expect the greatness to resume with this issue. (I've finally come to the firm conviction that I can't stand Bizarro stories. And I'm not speaking in backwards logic!)

Batman and the Outsiders # 1 - I've not had much use for the various Outsiders titles over the past 20 years, but the one run I did like was the original BATO. Whether this one will measure up remains to be seen, but I'll at least give it a chance.

Green Arrow/Black Canary # 2 - As I wrote about exactly one month ago today, the debut issue of this new series really impressed me. I can't wait to see where # 2 goes. I give the creators lots of credit for not dragging out the "Is Ollie really dead?" mystery beyond the final pages of issue # 1. I may be disappointed but it won't be for lack of trying! (And no, I don't know what that means, either!)

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier - This is the big one. This is what makes this a week unlike any other in 2007. After many delays, this 208-page Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill hardcover masterpiece finally arrives... although, it's only supposed to be released in the United States! So whether I actually get one tomorrow or not is still up in the air. If I don't, then I'll be on Chapters or Amazon moments after getting home, ordering my copy through them (and having it delivered to Vicki's mom in Michigan, if need be!) I've seen one review so far - seen, meaning seen, not read - and it looked glowing. I want to hold off reading anyone else's assessments until I've had a chance to take it all in on my own... whenever that may be! This is even more of a "Christmas in November" event than the video game and movies I bought last week!
[Update 11/14: As feared, LOEG: The Black Dossier was not shipped to Canada, so I've placed my order on Amazon and will get my copy (along with one for the owner of my local comic store!) shipped to my mother-in-law's address in the States. Gratification now officially delayed!]

Wonder Woman # 14 - Gail Simone begins her much-anticipated stint as writer of this oft-delayed, rarely-satisfying title. I hope she's what's needed to finally make this ostrich fly, because no one's done it yet!

Thor # 4 - I've been loving what JMS has been doing in this relaunch, although I kind of wish he'd pack a little more action into each issue. When I sit back and try to describe what's happened each month I tend to realize the answer is... not much! But I guess that's what the kids like right now (as it keeps showing up at or near the top of the hit list each month).

World War Hulk # 5 (of 5) - WWH wraps up, only a little later than originally planned. This has been a fun mini-series that's delivered lots of cool fights, and the marquee matchup for the finale features Hulk going up against (one of) Marvel's Superman characters: the Sentry. Described as being "as powerful as a thousand exploding suns" (or some such hyperbole), the Sentry should really be able to take care of Emperor Hulk pretty easily (toss him into one of those exploding suns, for example) but we always have to keep in mind: this is Hulk's title! It's not like he's going to lose a big battle here! It should be interesting to see what the new status quo looks like when the dust settles, though. Rumours persist of a new Hulk...

No comments: