Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Portable Agile Manager

Still not out of a job, I nevertheless effected a cube move today. Including time to pack up, it took me less than 20 minutes from start to finish! The vast majority of what I have at my desk these days resides, somewhat permanently, in a short, open-faced cabinet-on-wheels, as well as a big plastic moving crate with a flip-open lid. Since I divested myself of a workstation - no more monitor, keyboard, mouse or silo to cart around with me - and decided not to bother unpacking most of the stuff, my portability has gone through the roof. I remember the traumatic event that moving out of my office (of four years!) had been fifteen months ago, and today wasn't even 10% as significant, either in terms of time spent or hassle. Our IT folks, to their everlasting credit, have adapted quite nicely to our new Agile world, making for a very painless transfer of phones from spot to spot, as well as wide-scale wireless coverage.

And of course I moved just in time to ensure that I'll be completely thrown off when I come back from my week in San Francisco, as I'll no doubt instinctively head to the old location two weeks hence!

In other Agile news, a meeting I was in today had one of the most unexpected turn of events in a long while: several Feature Team representatives indicated more than a passing interest in the notion of shrinking their Iteration lengths down to 1 week, from the current half-month that we use. I always associate the desire to do shorter Iterations with a growing sense of Agility, especially since we often saw the exact opposite reaction when people were most resistant to Agile ("1 month Iterations? Are you crazy? That's too short! You can't get anything done in a month!") Considering that some of these reps were also reporting that their teams could now plan a half-month's worth of work in an hour or less, there were plenty of good signs evident in this meeting.

No comments: