Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cue The Final Week

Tomorrow marks the start of my last week working for my current employer. Over the next five days, I'll be saying goodbye to a whole lot of people, hoping that we'll stay in touch but knowing that, for the vast majority of them, we probably won't. I think Boneman and AgileBoy are safe bets for not losing contact, but everyone else is probably a crapshoot at this point. Some of them are currently so busy that the prospect of them finding time to meet me for lunch, come over to the house for a visit or even just respond to an e-mail... seems laughable. And that's one small part of the reason why I'm leaving, after all: when it's constantly Crisis Mode at the office, it's awfully hard to ever accomplish very much.

One of the things that I'm most looking forward to, once next week is behind me, is an end - however temporary it may prove to be - to the wearying five-day routine of getting up early each morning. I've known for most of my life that I sleep better if I use a very simple approach: if I'm tired, go to bed; if I'm not, stay up and do stuff. It sounds simple enough, but too often I'm not tired at 11:00 p.m. on a weekday, and yet the knowledge that I have to get up around 7:00 a.m. the next morning drives me to go to bed and hope for the best. Soon I should be able to set a more sensible sleep schedule that will hopefully mean less time wasted in bed, tossing and turning and cursing my inability to sleep on demand. (I think the perfect job for me would be one where I can work from home and set my own hours. Anyone got one of those handy for me?)

If you happen to be one of those aforementioned soon-to-be-ex-coworkers of mine, then please plan to keep frequenting this blog... it's perhaps the best option for us to maintain contact, after all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are a teenager at heart....sleep until noon.....stay up until 3 or later in the wee hours of the morning. All good...except for MY schedule that doesn't match that one! Fun fun!