Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Most Exciting Weekend Of The Year?

The big comic convention in San Diego is now underway (running through Sunday), and it's often the venue where the biggest genre announcements are made. So far nothing too dramatic has come out yet (at least that I've seen), but I expect Friday and Saturday will once again be full of interesting bits of "breaking news."

Vicki and I always used to say, "One of these years, we really need to take in the big San Diego Comic Con..." but I sort of think we missed our window of opportunity. It's now such a huge, overblown event that it typically sells out before the doors even open on Day 1, hotel rooms are next to impossible to get, restaurants have ridiculously long waits and everything you might do at the Con is packed full of sweaty people to the point of discomfort. Ever since Hollywood got into the act, it's become a media circus and nothing that I'd ever want to venture into. So unless it shrinks back down to its 1980s size at some point in the future, I think that boat may've already sailed on us.

But it still makes for a great weekend of Internet surfing for this comic fan!

No comments: