Saturday, July 05, 2008

Worth The Hype

I'm now about 3 or 4 issues into the Y: The Last Man comic series that wrapped up recently (although I'm reading it in collected form). Y is Brian K. Vaughan's award-winning series, published by DC Comics, which I'd missed out on when it was coming out in monthly, serialized form. I'd heard enough good stuff about it over the years that I decided to try out the first volume in trade paperback format, and what I've read so far has lived up to the billing!

In brief, it's the story of Yorick Brown, the (apparently) sole surviving male human after every other man on Earth is simultaneously wiped out by some mysterious ailment. It's very intelligently-written, and so far has already dealt with many of the "But what about....?" questions that such a concept raised in my mind.

Ex Machina has made me a big Vaughan fan, as well as a few shorter story arcs here and there, so I came to Y late in the game, but full of high expectations. I can hardly wait to see where it all leads...

No comments: