Monday, July 28, 2008

How Hot Is The Original Comic Art Market?

I own somewhere between fifty and a hundred pieces of original comic artwork (like the Captain America page shown here, from just a few months before he was killed off) and yet have never really made any concerted effort to "collect" them. I think the first page I ever bought was a beautiful David Lloyd Hellblazer page that I just couldn't resist bidding on during a charity auction, and then many others have followed rather haphazardly.

Lately, however, it seems like the prices for some of these items may be on the rise. There's this story from last weekend's San Diego Comic Con, in which someone paid $115,000 US for 22 pages from Green Lantern # 84 (early 1970s) by the greatly-talented Neal Adams. In that article, there seem to be indications that original artwork is appreciating in value.

Also, Vicki watched a V For Vendetta page (once again by David Lloyd) sell on eBay last night for more than $1800 US, making me wonder just how much my own VFV page is worth (I paid around $300 US for it, about 10 years ago now). We've seen Watchmen pages go for more than $10,000 US and that was before the recent hype over the movie (I bought mine for $2000 US, albeit at a time when the exchange rate was much less favourable than it is right now).

So is this particular market really heating up? Should I consider selling some of my own ragtag collection, seeing as how I'll be out of work in less than 100 hours?

I don't have any answers at this point. But it's an interesting topic to ponder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best part is you can put in your own speeh bubbles!

Anonymous said...

Made me laugh...own speech bubbles!

Yes, it might be time to test the waters selling some of the artwork in the basement that we are never going to have enough wall space to display! Or wait until we need the money in 2015 or something!