Thursday, July 03, 2008

Final Secret Crisis Invasion Part 2

Not too long ago, I wrote down my thoughts on the two big comic events of the summer: Secret Invasion, from Marvel Comics, and DC Comics' Final Crisis. At that time, Secret Invasion # 1 had just come out, and we were all still awaiting the launch of Final Crisis.

Now, a few months later, I've had the chance to read the first three issues of the 8-part Secret Invasion, and the initial two parts of the 7-issue Final Crisis. In other words, I'm roughly a third of the way through, and have a clearer notion of what each has to offer.

Secret Invasion has turned out to be a real snoozer for this longtime fan. It's essentially a one-trick pony, that being the excrutiatingly-drawn out reveals of who's been a Skrull, and for how long. I guess if you're really into this storyline, then the snail's pace at which the information's being doled out might be enjoyable; for me, it's all comics decompression at its worst! Yawwwwn.

Final Crisis, on the other hand, jumped into overdrive with its second issue. I re-read it this morning and was every bit as impressed as I'd been on the first pass. Every page has something significant happening on it, putting it miles ahead of Secret Invasion in terms of plot and unpredictability. About the biggest gripe I have with the goings-on within this series now is that they're going to be limited to the main title itself along with a few spin-offs, when in reality something as dramatic as what appears to be coming ought to be reflected in every DC Comics title of the day. If evil really is going to win - at least for awhile - then it seems natural that the effects should be felt everywhere. Also, the incredible artwork by JG Jones, as compared to the glorified chicken scratchings in Secret Invasion, leaves it no contest on the art front.

There's still a long way to go, and my enthusiasm could still wax and wane in either case, but so far Final Crisis is the clear winner between these two big events. Sadly, the sales figures on the issues to date have broken the opposite way, showing once again that my tastes don't match the popular opinion.

No comments: