Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Funny Thing About Star Wars

Disturbances in the Force, like this past weekend's release of the Clone Wars cartoon, seem to always bring out the worst in Star Wars fans of a certain age. They start whining about how great the Star Wars saga used to be, back in the old days, and how awful everything that George Lucas has done with it since has been.

The funny thing is - and I know I've mentioned this here before - Star Wars was never all that great! I'll grant that The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the six movies, but every one of them - even Episodes I through III! - has been great fun to watch... that's simply all they've ever been. The difference is that those "fans of a certain age" are seeing all of the recent stuff as adults for the first time, whereas they initially watched (and re-watched and re-re-watched) the original movies as kids. Poor to mediocre material can look amazing when you're seeing it with a child's eye! I know, as I have a long list of TV shows, movies and comics that I adored once upon a time but now am more likely to cringe at. As someone who saw Star Wars in the theatre at age 14 and thought it was "OK, but a bit silly" there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between any of them, to me.

But it's still lots of fun to watch people act as if there is...

No comments: