Friday, August 22, 2008

Great Legion Stories Of The Past


With the outstanding Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds mini-series kicking off this week, I loved seeing this feature, in which various professionals associated with the Legion of Super-Heroes pick their favourite stories from the 50-year history. I agree with many of their picks, and would definitely put The Great Darkness Saga at or near the top of my own list. In fact, I think I'll pull those issues out soon and re-read them, as I certainly recall being thrilled by them in the past.

While it's a good list presented, I think the ones that were missing were:
  • Saturn Girl arranging to sacrifice herself in order to bring Lightning Lad back to life, only to have Proty, her shape-changing, telepathic pet take her place at that last minute (Adventure Comics # 312, I think)
  • The "Super-Stalag of Space" (Adventure Comics # 344) in which the Legionnaires were all imprisoned and had to figure out how to escape a high-security confinement
  • The tragic tale in which Brainiac-5 invents Computo, intended as a helpmate, only to have the Artificially Intelligent machine revolt and go on a murderous rampage... including killing one of the three bodies of Triplicate Girl! And that's how she got "downgraded" to Duo Damsel, kids! (Adventure Comics # 340)
Those are some of my favourite stories from the Legion's history... which just goes to show how old I am (since they're all from the 1960s!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was an interesting list. Memories! I like your additions, especially Triplicate Girl to Duo Damsel.

Boneman8 said...

Is that picture a picture of "Darkside"? Remember, I'm a comic book loser...the picture looks like the guy from the Superfriends cartoon.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

That is, indeed, a picture of Darkseid, the lord and ruler of Apokalips.