Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Powerless

Yesterday we had the power go out on us once again, starting shortly after 6:00 p.m. and lasting for several hours. That was the third or fourth significant power outage in our neighbourhood this summer. I'm now in the habit of calling the hydro company's 24-hour hot-line as soon as it happens, in the hope of speeding things up as much as possible. I have to admit that:
  • I'm getting sick of having to switch our dinner plans at the last minute because of a lack of working stove and oven
  • I'm tired of resetting our half dozen or more electric clocks in the house
  • I'm worried about what this could mean for TV watching next month, when the new shows start up
  • I can't help but wonder if this is a sign of things to come, where electricity and other taken-for-granted resources become scarce
On top of that - but unrelated - I've discovered that my basement PC, which I've rarely used over the past couple of years except to write my book on, has a tendency to lose its wireless connection every 15 minutes or so. I'm having to repeatedly disable and re-enable the connection in order to get back on the Internet. I've tried to download a new driver for the wireless card, but couldn't get it to install... very annoying! Such is Life at the moment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same trouble with our old computer. I've tried 3 different wireless connections but they all dropped the connection very frequently. Very annoying. Now that I've had 2 laptops on the network without ever dropping... yeah, it's the computer.

I blame Bill Gates

Anonymous said...

i've been lucky so far... no power outages in the nearly 12 months i've lived here