Sunday, August 03, 2008

Why So Serious?

Vicki and I (and friends) headed out to see The Dark Knight again last night. Fortunately I'd gotten a head's up from my ex-boss that the movie was still selling out early for weekend showings - he'd been turned away at 6:30 the previous night - and so we bought tickets online (for an extra $1 per... grrrrr!) and got to the theatre about an hour before showtime.

I have to say it wasn't quite as amazing an experience the second time around, but very close. The only thing missing was the suspense, which I guess can't be helped. I definitely appreciated Heath Ledger's performance every bit as much last night, and could see more of the foreshadowing that happens in the first half. There's enough story in the 150 minutes to keep you entertained during a second viewing, which probably means that some appreciable portion of the nearly $400 million in ticket sales during the first 16 days has come from return visitors... like us!

Great, great film... and it may just up the ante on superhero movies from here on out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They charged you an extra dollar for the on-line ticket.....I just watched a commercial on their screen the other day saying they were not going to charge the convenience fee anymore....

Crooked industry that movie industry..

Don Hey said...

I've been wondering if the The Dark Knight: The IMAX Experience would be worth a trip to Toronto?

I know that several action scenes from the film were done with an IMAX camera--but I'm not clear whether Experience would be the full length Dark Knight or just the IMAX bits?