Friday, August 15, 2008

So Much For That Experiment!

I'd left the basement PC powered up overnight, specifically to see whether or not I'd still have connectivity in the morning (keeping in mind that the record for such things, prior to the new router, was probably on the order of an hour or so!) With various chores and a nice, healthy walk around the neighbourhood with Vicki to start the day, it's only now (early afternoon) that I've had a chance to check on the results.

So I come downstairs, power on the monitor and see that the PC has clearly been rebooted since I left it! Wha--? Thinking that that can't be a good sign, I start closing windows (that automatically come up at startup) and notice that some sort of update was downloaded while I was away, resulting in a reboot! Bottom line: I don't yet know if I'd have lost the Internet over that stretch of time had nothing else happened. On the other hand, the restart almost certainly occurred overnight, and everything was fine when I checked it just now. So that probably indicates a good result on the longevity front. But I'll try again tonight...

And yes, I know this probably isn't terribly interesting to anyone but me, but it is my online weblog, after all! :-)

No comments: