Sunday, March 29, 2009

Feeling Superhuman

It's been almost a month and a half since I mentioned my "Game of 2008", Resistance 2. I'd actually taken the disc out of the PS/3 and put it away in its case, only to pull it back out late last week when a significant patch/upgrade was released for the game. There were a bunch of small enhancements and fixes provided, but by far the most interesting development - for me, anyway - was a new form of Coop play, called "Superhuman".

On this new difficulty setting, you and your team of up to 8 players go through all of the same maps as before, but things are considerably more challenging now. The enemies are tougher and more plentiful, you take more damage than usual, and when you die you don't automatically re-spawn after 30 seconds like you used to... instead, you're dead until a teammate comes by to revive you! All of that, taken together, has managed to reinvigorate my interest in the game. Vicki even commented this morning that it's actually more interesting to watch now, because there's much less of the carefree running through the levels that I'd been accustomed to previously... on "Superhuman", I have to take it much more slowly and play defensively. In fact, after roughly a dozen matches on this new setting, I've been part of more failing missions than successful ones, and have only gotten all the way through a level without dying just once! Those are both signs of a much tougher game!

Unlike the previous patch for Resistance 2, which was somewhat underwhelming, last Thursday's release was truly impressive.

No comments: