Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Math Is Easy! Fiction's Hard!

Today I finally got the first chapter of my mythical novel to a level of quality whereby I can actually stand to read it without wincing. It's taken many passes to get there, and a few weeks on the calendar. That's quite a different experience than I had with either of the AgileMan books, where I could just write a first draft (in fairly quick fashion) and then go over the entire thing in a second pass to pretty it up. I'd say this whole "fiction notion" is proving to be a whole lot more challenging.

I have about 10,000 words and just under 20 pages to show for all of my effort so far. I figure that I'm about 10% of the way through, based on the mental outline in my head, and it's taken me about a month to get here (including throwing out much of what I'd written earlier). In other words, I'm going to be at this a long time, if it's ever going to be completed!

Oh well... no one said it'd be easy!

1 comment:

cjguerra said...

Something about easy not being good? Unless you're Isaac Asimov.