Friday, March 13, 2009

Gradually Souring On Killzone 2 Multiplayer

Two weeks after receiving the game in the mail, I'm already starting to lose my affection for the online portion of Killzone 2. I've had too many bad experiences there, including such frustrations as:
  • running out of ammo and having to rely on the not-very-powerful pistol (although, at least it comes with infinite ammo!)
  • not being able to find a controller setting (including the X- and Y-axis sensitivities) that I can use without giving away countless "easy kills" to other players thanks to the controls working against me at the worst possible times
  • the annoyance of running out of ammo, getting critically wounded by an enemy, and then being revived by a Medic teammate, still with no ammo, only to immediately get hit again by the same enemy... result: 2 deaths for me with no real chance at scoring any kills!
  • no ability to default to "spawn me automatically, same place as last time" so that I don't have to press the same damn buttons every time I die (and for whatever reason, I often seem to have to press them multiple times, because the first action gets ignored)
  • not being able to access the various classes until I've leveled up significantly, which is probably going to keep me from even sticking with the game long enough to get there
Now, I'm still loving the Single Player Campaign, and I expect to finish it before putting the game away. But I'm very near to giving up on the multiplayer side of Killzone 2.

Fortunately, I've also started F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin on the 360 and like it a lot. So now at least I can get my variety of gameplay without having to work away at something that's just not proving to be very fun.

No comments: