Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Vicki's The One Wearing The Pants In This Household

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Vicki had landed a two-week "kick the tires" contract to do some Business Analysis work with a local company. To the surprise of no one in this house, she did well enough that they've signed her up for work right through to the end of September.

We learned about that last Friday, which was also the day that I closed off two different avenues of potential employment for myself. I had two phone calls, each of which was intended to be the first tentative steps toward possibly getting some contract work if I was a good fit, and vice versa. You read that right: two calls, on the same day, after not having anything of that sort happen over the past seven months!

Anyway, both were for out-of-town positions, and neither was really what I'm looking for at the moment. The prospect of a commute would be OK in the service of a really interesting assignment; doing a contract that wasn't all that appealing at some local office could be acceptable for awhile. But combining the two downsides just didn't seem to have enough upside for me. Therefore I recused myself in each case, in the process ensuring that I'd extend my current unemployment streak even further.

Was that the right thing to do? I really don't know at this point. I suppose only time, the job market, and the faltering stock market that keeps eating our RRSPs will tell in the long run!

No comments: