Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dark by 6:00 PM? What of the poor cyclist?

This is typically the day of the year when I look outside around 5:45 or 6:00 in the afternoon, realize it's pretty much pitch black out there, and think, "Oh, right.. biking home after work's going to be a problem now, isn't it?" (Yes, it's Time Change Weekend!) From a purely selfish point-of-view, I wish they'd hold the time change off another month, because November's often an OK month for riding my bike to work. Considering I only averaged 2 days/week in October this year, thanks to the rain and more rain and then some more rain, I guess I'll be lucky if I can get in even half a dozen more rides before parking the bike for the winter. But it's just that little extra impediment of having to get out of work by no later than 5:00, in order to make it home before dark, that I could really do without in November.

Not that it's all about me... but couldn't it be?

4 comments:

Tammy said...

But there's a small chance it'll be light out when I leave for school at 7:15am tomorrow!

Peter Janes said...

Well, you will get two more weeks of DST next year, and for the foreseeable future.

Personally, I'd be happier to keep the time as is and put off the weather for a month....

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I forgot about that whole change that's coming! Are they starting it earlier (it's already early April, right?) or ending it later, or both? I really only care about the Fall change, since the days are getting shorter then as it is, and having an hour lopped off in one weekend really hurts my biking window. At least in the Spring, days are getting longer!

Anonymous said...

And did the US decide to join us in changing DST or did we join them?