Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Now why didn't I think of that?

No less than my boss, a Vice President, pointed out to me today that I was wearing a light blue shirt with a dark blue pair of pants. He did this as if it would mean something to me, despite knowing me for nearly 6 years now and having had ample evidence (including repeated declarations from me) that I pull my shirts and pants off the hangers randomly each morning (sometimes in the dark, if my beloved wife is sleeping in and I'm not). He did this because it amuses him, and because he thinks it amuses me (it actually does) and because he gets as good as he gives. And if this were the first time the words "fashion" and "idjit" had been implicitly combined to describe me, I'd at least have the excuse of being ill-prepared for offering a suitable comeback (sadly, I had neither: no excuse, and no comeback). But then I checked out Neil Gaiman's most recent blog entry and read this:

Dear Mr. Gaiman,

Practically a year ago (which is two days from today), you came over to Vancouver for your 'Anansi Boys' tour. My friend and I asked you the silliest question of all: Mr. Gaiman, why do you always wear black?
It's always bugged me that I asked such a stupid question.
Well, over the weekend, a weight was lifted from my shoulders.
The theme of one of our public libraries is comic books and graphic novels. They had a little piece of paper with your picture on it and some info on you.
They stated that you always wear black because you're into the gothic aesthestic.
Well, now I can write to them and tell them that the reason you wear always wear black is so that all your clothes will match, making it easier for you to assemble an outfit. And if they question my resources, then I can tell them that you told me so yourself.
I'll take care to refer blacksocks.com to them as well.

I guess in a way, that question that we asked didn't prove to be so useless. Thanks! (I do hope you were telling the truth that night.)


I knew the man was a genius. I simply didn't fathom the depth of his brilliance until now!

Vicki: I need to go shopping now, and just take me to the blackwear sections!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as long as the two varying colors of blue don't clash too much (like red and pink surely would) i can't see it being a problem.

Anonymous said...

ps. sarah paulson = harriet

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Haha! Whenever the topic of fashion comes up, I always tell the story of sitting in a kitchen with 3 women (one of them my wife) and telling them that the reason I don't even try to be fashionable is that it's too whimsical and no one ever agrees. I said, "OK, so how about... blue and green? Do they go together?" and I swear I actually got 2 "Yes"s and 1 "No", to which I said, "I rest my case."