Friday, October 13, 2006

I'm Sure Someday They'll Brag About Meeting Me

Not sure why, but I got thinking about famous (or semi-famous) people I've met in my life. I'm going to use a liberal definition of "met" here to mean people who I've interacted with, even if it's only to say "Hi" or ask them a question. Not exactly up there with exchanging phone numbers or dining out together, but we take what we can get. So here're some of the ones that come to mind:

I was a few feet away from Kevin Smith, the Clerks writer/director/actor, not that long ago, along with his sidekick Jason Mewes. It was at an art auction in Chicago and I don't remember anything specific that I said to him, or he to me, but I do think words were exchanged because I definitely recall him shooting me a withering look that should've put me in my place, if I'd had any sense about me. And I can attest to the fact that he's every bit as funny in person as he is in interviews. And twice as vulgar! :-)

This past summer we attended another art auction in Chicago, during which I got to chat with the vivacious Erica Durance (Lois Lane, on Smallville), and exchange a word or two with Jeph Loeb. Loeb's well-known in comic circles (writer of Superman/Batman, Batman: The Long Halloween, Spider-Man: Blue, and many others) but achieves true famous stature thanks to his writing of episodes of Lost (Season 2) and Heroes (Season 1, so far).

One of my earliest blogs recounted my wonderful meeting with Jason Molina (and bandmates) of Magnolia Electric Co. Truly a highlight!

In addition to seeing Peter Gabriel in concert 6 times (so far), I was lucky enough on one occcasion to have him walk right in front of me (along an aisle) while he was belting out Solsbury Hill. I'm not too proud to admit I reached out and touched his shoulder as he went by. And he looked me right in the eye. Which I'm guessing meant more to me than it did to him, but I could be wrong. Or not.

Back in the days when Babylon5 was the favourite TV show in our household, I hit the Holy Trinity in one year: creator JMS, creative Consultant Harlan Ellison and B5 (and original Star Trek) actor Walter Koenig all had the pleasure of conversing with me during one Chicago comic convention. Ellison was the great surprise of the group, as his curmudgeonly personality, so prevalent in any interview I've read as well as the panel he hosted, was completely missing as he stood and talked to the wife, daughter and I while we all were making the rounds of the comic dealers. He was absolutely demure with us, even going so far as to enquire whether or not the kid was likely to be freaked out if he spoke to her. A class act, through and through.

Circling back to comics, I've met virtually every creator I ever wanted to meet, with the notable exception of Alan Moore. I attended a Neil Gaiman panel and probably asked him a question (I'm the guy who always asks a question). George Perez, artist extraordinaire, is what every fan hopes they're favourite creator will be like. John Byrne, on the other hand, is every fan's nightmare. Neal Adams draws like a house afire but only seemed interested in selling me an overpriced limited edition piece of crap I didn't want (and didn't buy). Steve Rude, of Nexus fame, is a swell guy but possibly a bit spaced out. And dozens of others that I'm forgetting because I've met so many over the years.

And of course Vicki and I attended a taping of the David Letterman Show, back when he was still with NBC. I don't think I actually interacted with him (although you certainly can hear me laugh throughout) but I was in the same room. And Ringo Starr was one of the guests, so I can say I've been in the same room as a Beatle (a big room, yes, but still!).

Now, if only a few of them would have their people call my people, perhaps we could all do lunch...

3 comments:

thomas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tammy said...

Comment deleted eh... wonder what the story is there. I've met Kristen Bell! That's about it.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

The comment deleted was just someone posting links to his/its own blog entries. I wonder if it got generated automatically based on my blog reaching entry # 20 (kind of a milestone, I guess)? The comment was inoffensive but also generic enough to indicate AI at work since there was no reference to anything I'd blogged.