Sunday, October 22, 2006

Skipped Chapter 1: Play Time

My name is Richie Dunfrey, and Im 9 years old. Todays the first day of Grade 5 and Im sposed to write about what I did this summer. Mrs Supmet (my teacher) says we have to do this so I am. We have until morning recess to write about our summer. I don't know if I have all that much to say tho.

My mom, my dad and me, and my stupid little sister Laurie, whos only 7, went to Niagara Falls for a week in July. That was pretty good except Laurie couldn't go on the scary rides so Mom and her stood and waited for Dad and me. We went on some twice, they were so cool!

We also got invited to some pool parties which I liked a lot. I learned how to swim last summer meaning this summer I got to go in the deep end and everything. Laurie still has to wear water wings and stay in the shallow end but I don't have to stay with her now (FINALLY!!).

One day I was walking in the woods near our house by myself because Laurie had her friend Hazel over who I don't like and I found something pretty neat. I was walking along the path but then I saw something shiny in the dirt, near the big tree that got struck by lightning a couple years ago. I went over and it was like a green rock buried in the mud and stuff. I right away thought of kryptonite, the only thing that can hurt Superman, because it's green and like a rock, too. I didn't really think it was kryptonite, cuz even kids know Supermans not real, but it was fun to imagine it was. Anyways I could only see part of it on accounta it being buried, so I started digging around it until I could pull it out and see it good.

It was a nice green colour once I got the dirt off of it. It was about as big as my biggest aggie in my collection (aggies are marbles, just in case you don't know) but not so round, more flat on top and bottom but round in the middle. And it was the coolest green ever! When I was digging it out, I thought it might be an aggie since I could only see the round middle part and I was thinking how cool it'd be to use it at school when we all got back. But as soon as I got it out I saw it wasn't a marble. (No guff!)

Anyhow, I put it in my pocket and went looking for more cool stuff. After while I gave up tho as there wasn't really anything else all that neat there, just some pop cans and potato chip bags. And I saw some squirrels but they were up in a tree.

When I got home, I showed my mom and she said it was pretty. She didn't know what it was, which kinda made me happy cuz I didn't want her to spoil it by saying it was some dumb thing that grownups use for holding up a window or weighing stuff with. I wanted to be able to pretend it was all kinds of awesome things, and maybe it really was for all I knew. I built some Lego buildings for it to be in and then I made up a superhero adventure with my action figures (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Robin) so they could find it (I pretended it was a kryptonite bomb) and save the city!

At bedtime, I put the kryptonite bomb (it wasn't really one!) under my pillow, just like I do with my baby teeth so the Tooth Fairy can find them. I didn't really think the Tooth Fairy would come that night, but you never know. That night I had a really weird dream where I lost the green rock somewhere and my mom was yelling at me for losing it! When I woke up in the morning, and checked under the pillow, sure enuff the rock wasn't there! I was a little scared cuz of Mom being so mad in my dream. I got up and I looked under my pillow again and under my spare PJs and even under the bed but couldn't find it anywhere. I went to tell Mom and Dad about it so they could help me look. Luckily my Mom didn't get mad like in my dream but just came to help look. Once I lost a Loonie I put under my pillow and Dad said it had probly fell down the grate in my floor that goes to the furnace and burned up. I didn't think that was what happened here tho cuz the rock was probly too big to fit through the grate.

But then I remembered that Laurie sometimes comes into my room before I wake up to play with some of my toys. So I said, "Maybe Laurie took it!" but when Mom asked her she said she hadn't. Since she was only a little kid I figured she was just scared to say so, so I kept asking her and telling her I wanted it back. And then Mom got mad at me, and it seemed just like my dream and I got scared again. So I went and got breakfast and looked for it more later. But I never found it again. I still think Laurie took it but I'll get in trouble if I ask again so I'll just wait until it shows up. It was a really cool rock!!!

I also had a birthday (I turned 9) over the summer, and there was a big cake with 9 candles on it and I got to blow them all out. But Mrs Supmet says time's up now so I gotta hand this in. I hope I get a A or at least a B. That was a lot of writing!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

A very exciting first chapter! What could the rock be?!

Anonymous said...

Interesting and captivating...I want more