Wednesday, December 26, 2007

If Only This Power Could Be Used For Good


A recent (paraphrased) conversation between me and someone at work:

Him: "Hey, you like comics, right?"

Me: "Yeah, you could say that."

Him: "I was crazy about Blue Devil when I collected comics."

Me: "Blue Devil? OK, I never really followed him, but I know who you mean, at least. DC character from the 80s or 90s, right?"

Him: "That's him! He was a stuntman who could turn into this literal blue devil. His real name was Dan something..."

Me: "Dan... Cassidy, right?"

Him: "I'm not sure. I don't remember if that was it or not."

Me: "Well, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure it was Dan Cassidy. Don't ask me how I know... I just do."

This afternoon I recalled that little slice of geek life from a week ago, and went to look Blue Devil up on Wikipedia. Sure enough, his secret identity was Dan Cassidy. How the Hell do I remember crap like that for characters whose series I was never even a fan of? According to my comic D/B, I don't own a single issue of Blue Devil (I would've said that I maybe had one), although the character did show up as a guest star here and there (which must be how I knew enough to recall his alias).

Occurrences like this scare even me sometimes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... a DC title published in the 80's / 90's and you don't even have one copy....I would've lost money on that bet!