Saturday, December 08, 2007

Non-Sustainability

Thanks to Jakub at work, I got pointed to this site, called "The Story of Stuff." It has a video that I'm sure some will find over-the-top, or even patronizing, but I thought that it summed up our current "train wreck in the making" planetary situation really well. I don't know how well-researched the statistics in the video are - some of them shocked even me, in the sense that I didn't really think that some things were already that badly out of whack - but in general the tone matches pretty much exactly how I feel on the topic. The section on planned obsolescence and perceived obsolescence particularly hit home for me, because it's become so pervasive now. And of course I've been saying for years that all of the so-called "fashion trends" are really just scams to get people to buy new clothes, but hadn't really considered it from the waste point-of-view.

It's certainly not the "feel good hit" of the holiday season, but I recommend it nonetheless. (In fact, considering that December is the shopping spike of the year, now's exactly the time to be watching this sort of thing!)

No comments: